Under the conditions of pot experiment it was studied the efficiency of alfalfa inoculation by nodule bacteria Sinorhizobium meliloti B-7411 while growing alfalfa in mixture with smooth bromegrass at varying norms of phosphoric-potassium nutrition. It was found that symbiotic alfalfa systems that were formed with the strain S. meliloti B-7411 differed in N2 assimilation rate depending on dosage of phosphorus and potassium nutrition (PK), but had similar dynamics of increase of this index from stems formation to flowering stage. A number and weight of root nodules on alfalfa, at double dose of PK was reduced, which led to a decrease of biological atmospheric nitrogen fixation. The highest level of N2 assimilation by alfalfa root nodules was found in the periods of stems formation, budding and flowering at the background of 1 norm phosphorus and potassium (by Helrigel), and the decrease of this index in 2.6, 3.6 and 2.9 times observed at the corresponding stages at the background of 2 norms of PK. Bacterization of alfalfa seeds contributed to the growth of the aboveground plant mass of both mixture components. The greater yield of green mass and dry matter was obtained in treatments with presowing inoculation of seeds by rhizobia S. meliloti В-7411 and with 1 dose of phosphorus and potassium without inoculation as compared to treatments with higher doses of PK (1.5 and 2 n). Positive dynamics of aboveground mass growth of smooth bromegrass was also observed during its cultivation in mixture with alfalfa, for different rates of input of phosphorus and potassium. At the same time, the smallest values of plants green mass growth of the grass component of mixture were also obtained for the double norm of PK.
Keywords: Sinorhizobium meliloti, alfalfa, smooth bromegrass, phosphorus, potassium, inoculation, nitrogen fixation, productivity
Full text and supplemented materialsFree full text: PDF
1. Melnichuk, T.M. & Patyka, V.P. (2011). Microbial inoculants in the system bioorganic agriculture. Collection of scientific articles. 3rd All-Ukrainian congress of ecologists with international participation (pp. 423-426), Vinnytsya [in Ukrainian].
2. Butvina, O.Ju., Tolkachev, N.Z. & Knjazeva, A.V. (1997). Highly competitive strains of nodule bacteria - the basis of the effectiveness of biopreparations. Mikrobiolohichnyy zhurnal, No. 4, pp. 123-131 [in Russian].
3. Kots, S.Ya. & Mykhalkiv, L.M. (2005). Physiology of symbiosis and nitrogen nutrition of alfalfa. Kyiv: Logos [in Ukrainian].
4. Elkoca, E., Kantar, F. & Sahin, F. (2007). Influence of nitrogen fixing and phosphorus solubilizing bacteria on the nodulation, plant growth, and yield of chickpea. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 31, No. 1, pp. 157-171. https://doi.org/10.1080/01904160701742097
5. Patyka, V.P., Kots, S.Ya., Volkohon, V.V., Sherstoboeva, O.V. Melnychuk, T.M., Kalinichenko, A.V. & Hrynyk, I.V. (2003). Biological Nitrogen. Kyiv: Svit [in Ukrainian].
6. Kozar, O.M. (2002). Selection of single-species and mixed sowings of perennial grasses for making of higher productivity hay-mowing in the conditions of Forest-Steppe Right bank of Ukraine. Visnyk NAU, 48, pp. 211-216 [in Ukrainian].
7. Mashchak, Ya.I., Mizernik, I.D. & Nagirnyak, T.B. (2005). Meadows science in theory and practice. Lviv: Spolom [in Ukrainian].
8. Spiridonov, A.M. (2011). Nitrogen-fixing of leguminous plants and meadow agrophytocoenosis with their participation, depending on the composition and character of use. Agrohymycheskyj vestnyk, No. 6, pp. 12-14 [in Russian].
9. Sheudzhen, A.Kh., Khurum, Kh.D. & Onishchenko, L.M. (2005). Fertilization of lucerne. Maykop: GURIPP "Adygeya" [in Russian].
10. Mishustin, E.N. & Shilnikov, V.K. (1973). Rhizobia and process of inoculation. Moscow: Nauka [in Russian].
11. Kots, S.Ya. & Peterson, N.V. (2009). Mineral elements and fertilizers in plant nutrition. Kyiv: Logos [in Ukrainian].
12. Ilieva, A. & Vasileva, V. (2013). Effect of mineral fertilization and manure on some characteristics in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). World Applied Sciences Journal, 26 (5), pp. 630-635. https://doi.org/10.5829/idosi.wasj.2013.26.05.13501
13. Prevon, J.J. & Harwig, V.A. (1997). Phosphorus deficiency increases the argon-induced decline of nodule nitrogenase activity in soybean and alfalfa. Planta, 201, No. 4, pp. 463-469. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004250050090
14. Grodzinskiy, A.M. & Grodzinskiy, D.M. (1973). A short handbook to plant physiology. Kyiv: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
15. Pat. 111391 UA, IPC C12N1/20, C05F11/08, C12R1/01, Bacteria strain Sinorhizobium meliloti IMB B-7411 for producing bacterial fertilizers for lucerne, Kots, S.Ya., Vorobey, N.A., Publ. 25.04.2016 [in Ukrainian].
16. Hardy, R.W.F., Holsten, R.D., Jackson, E.K. & Burns, R.C. (1969). The acetylene-ethylene assay for N2 fixation: laboratory and field evaluation. Plant Physiol., 42, No. 8, pp. 1185-1207. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.43.8.1185
17. Dospehov, B.A. (1985). The methodology of field experiment (with the basics of statistical processing of results). Moscow: Ahropromizdat [in Russian].
18. Lapinskas, E. (1998). Biological fixation of nitrogen. Dotnuva: Akademija [in Lithuanian].
19. Spaink, H.P., Kondorosi, A., Hooykaas, P.J.J. (Eds.) Tikhonovich, I.A. Provorov, N.A. (Russian Trans., Eds.). (2002). The Rhizobiaceae. Molecular Biology of Model Plant-Associated Bacteria. Sankt-Peterburg [in Russian].
20. Collins, M., Lang, D.J. & Kelling, K.A. (1986). Effects of phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur on alfalfa nitrogen-fixation under field conditions. Agronomy Journal, 78, No. 6, pp. 959-963. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1986.00021962007800060005x
21. Tomar, R.K.S., Raghu, J.S. & Yadav, L.N. (1991). Effect of phosphorus, rhizobium inoculation and zinc on the yield of soybean (Glycine max L.). International journal of tropical agriculture, 9, No. 3, pp. 211-214.
22. Vasileva, V. & Pachev, I. (2015). Nitrogen use efficiency and life cycle of nodules in alfalfa after different mineral fertilization and soil cultivation. Global J. Environ. Sci. Manage, 1 (4), pp. 333-339. https://doi.org/10.7508/gjesm.2015.04.008
23. Kurgak, V.G. & Gorkusha, S.P. (1997). Varieties and variety mixes of value of perennial legume grasses in increase of sown meadows productivity. Zbirnyk naukovyh prac NNC "Instytut Zemlerobstva", 1, pp. 26-28 [in Ukrainian].
24. Davydyuk, M.F., Belash, V. A. & Kochyk, G.M. (2001). Creation of high productivity of hay-moving by resourse saving technology. Kormy i kormovyrobnyctvo, 47, pp. 207-210 [in Ukrainian].
25. Makarenko, P.S. & Derkach, V.S. (2004). Role of top and bottom thin-stem grasses while creating grasses of pasture and mowing utilization. Kormy i kormovyrobnyctvo, 54, pp. 61-65 [in Ukrainian].
26. Dudchenko, V.I., Golub, S.M. & Kharchuk, A.S. (2007). Productivity of sown and natural grasses of pasture use depending on the level of fertilization and the composition of grass mix in the conditions of the western Polissya of Ukraine. Foothill and mountain agriculture and stockbreeding, 49, pp. 54-57 [in Ukrainian].